From a legal perspective, auto accidents are often complex. This complexity is ratcheted up even further when multiple vehicles are involved. The more vehicles ensnared in an accident the more insurance companies you’ll need to deal with, which can delay your settlement indefinitely.

That’s why motorists in Santa Fe turn to Roybal-Mack & Cordova, PC when in need of assistance with auto accident litigation. Our skilled team of attorneys can untangle liability issues surrounding multi-vehicle crashes, which ensures you have the best chance at making a successful recovery.

Steps to Take After a Multi-Vehicle Accident

First and foremost, make sure you and your passengers are unharmed. Next, check on the injury status of other vehicles if possible. From this point:

  1. Try to move your vehicle to a safe place. If you’re unable to do so, set up warning signs to alert other drivers.
  2. Contact law enforcement. The police can handle diverting traffic, while also making an official report.
  3. Exchange info with other drivers. Be wary about providing too much information, as it could be used to establish fault.
  4. Take notes about the scene. If it’s safe to do so, take pictures of where the accident took place, as well as the damage occurring to your vehicle.
  5. Contact your insurance company. Make sure you have all pertinent information on hand.
  6. Seek out medical assistance. Even if you didn’t sustain injuries, visit a doctor. Things like whiplash often present days after an accident.

Auto Accident Laws in New Mexico

All drivers in this state are obligated to carry a minimum insurance coverage in the event of an accident. This entails $25,000/ $50,000 per person/accident for bodily injury and $10,000 per accident to cover property damage. Keep in mind that the minimum coverage limits probably won’t be enough when dealing with multi-vehicle accidents, especially when these accidents result in serious injuries for a number of drivers and passengers.

New Mexico is also a comparative negligence state. That means damages stemming from an auto accident can equally distributed among those involved depending on what occurred. In this case, fault is often expressed as a percentage. For example, a driver might be found 70% at fault for what occurred, while the other motorist would be 30%. That means each would be obligated to provide damages that was in line with their respective percentage.

We’ll Make Sense of Your Case

At Roybal-Mack & Cordova, PC, our experienced legal team will help make sense of your case. We assist New Mexico drivers in presenting the right evidence to prove driver negligence, while also helping you calculate the proper settlements for the injuries you sustained.

Our knowledge of auto accident law is especially beneficial when multiple vehicles are involved. Schedule a consultation today by contacting us online. You can also call 505.832.3411 to speak with an attorney about your specific needs.

Dedicated Advocacy. Meaningful Results.


Translate »