Personal Injury Law
Dedicated Advocacy. Meaningful Results.
Many Albuquerque, New Mexico, residents are aware that civil legal remedies exist for victims of car accidents, slip and fall accidents and other incidences that are the result of negligence. Not many are aware, however, that civil legal remedies also exist for victims of sexual abuse.
For many victims of sexual abuse, the injuries extend far deeper than the skin. Targets of sexual violence often live with depression and anxiety, sleep loss and high blood pressure. Many go on to develop post-traumatic stress disorder. Each of these side effects can interfere with one’s career, relationships and overall sense of wellbeing. The Albuquerque sexual abuse attorneys Roybal-Mack & Cordova, PC strive to help victims of sexual assault put their lives back together by seeking justice through a civil lawsuit.
Recognize The Signs Of Sexual Abuse
Many victims of sexual abuse are unaware that they are even victims and, what is more troubling, most victims blame themselves. This is because the majority of cases involve a perpetrator whom the victim knows and trusted. The most common indicator that a sexual act is sexual abuse, however, is the fact that it is unwanted and non-consensual. Other signs that indicate you are the victim of sexual abuse include the following:
- You experienced unwanted touching.
- Another person attempted to or did rape you, meaning he or she performed unwanted vaginal, anal or oral penetration with a body part or object.
- Another person took advantage of you while you were drunk or otherwise unable to give consent.
- Another person forced or manipulated you into performing unwanted, degrading or painful acts during intercourse.
- Another person took explicit pictures of you without your consent.
- A partner denied you protection or contraption during intercourse.
- Your partner threatened to break up with you if you refused to perform a sexual act.
- Another person forced you to perform sexual acts for money or on film.
Sexual abuse looks different in almost every situation. So that you can better understand your rights, it is crucial that you know what constitutes sexual violence and that you seek legal advice as soon as you suspect you are the victim of it.
Recovering For Damages Caused By Sexual Abuse
Sexual abuse can have long-term and devastating consequences for the victim and his or her family, many of which are psychological in nature. Psychological injuries can be just as costly as, if not more so than, physical injuries. If you lived through sexual assault and now struggle to regain a semblance of normalcy, reach out to the team at Roybal-Mack & Cordova, PC. Though compassionate and skilled legal representation, we will pursue justice and fight for the compensation you need to enjoy a full and speedy emotional recovery. Contact our Albuquerque law firm today to schedule a private consultation.
Call us to interview our Albuquerque-based team and take the legal action required to move towards a better future.